I forgot my username and/or password. What do I do?

If you have forgotten your password, click "Log In" on the menu bar. Then select the "Reset my Password" tab and follow the directions as listed.

If you cannot remember which email you used to sign up for Virginia Farm Link, please contact the Virginia Farm Link Administrator at

Account Questions

Why should I sign up?

Until you create an account, you will not be able to see the full details of available land or will not be able to post about your land. Signing up allows you to gain more information about different opportunities and to contact certified farm seekers, farm seekers, and landowners. After signing up, you will receive monthly updates on new properties that are listed and other farm transition resources. You can unsubscribe from those emails at any time if desired.  

How do I sign up for my account?

At the top of the page, click "Log In" on the menu bar. Then select the "Create new account" tab and follow the directions as listed. 

Is there any fee required to sign up for Virginia Farm Link?

There is no cost to the users of the Virginia Farm Link program. The program costs are covered in part by funding from the Virginia Agricultural License plate program. Of the $25 annual fee for this license plate, $15 is returned to the VDACS Office of Farmland Preservation to use towards the Virginia Farm Link program.  

Farm Owner/Landowner Questions

As a farm owner, do I have to respond to messages from a farm seeker?

There is no requirement that farm owners respond to farm seeker inquiries from Virginia Farm Link, but clear communication is encouraged. Farm seekers do not have a farm owners name or contact information until a farm owner sends a response to a farm seeker.   

What account information of mine is given to other users?

As a farm owner, you will get interest inquiries from farm seekers as they come in. The farm seekers do not have your name or contact information; they are only able to contact you through the Farm Link database system. After that, it is up to you to determine the level of communication. Once you respond to the farm seeker, they then have your name and contact information. 

Farm Seeker Questions

On the Virginia Farm Link website, what is the difference between a "farm seeker" and a "Certified Farm Seeker"? Why does it matter?

When the Virginia Farm Link website began in 2008, there were just two categories of users – farm owners and farm seekers. In 2012, after reviewing feedback from users, program staff determined that a certification process was needed to help farm seekers better demonstrate to farm owners that they had the necessary knowledge and skills to farm themselves.  Partnering with the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation and the Virginia Beginning Farmer and Rancher Coalition, the Certified Farm Seeker (CFS) program was born.  

Once certified, a farm seeker is able to demonstrate to a farm owner that: 

  1. they have a farm business plan, 
  2. they have on-farm experience and 
  3. have a resume to show their experience level.  

Non-certified farm seekers may have the same things CFS have, but becoming a CFS, communicates to farm owners that they have the items listed above. A CFS can be identified by the CFS logo on their Farm Link user profile. However, both CFS and non-certified seekers are able to contact farm owners via the Virginia Farm Link system.  

Other Questions

I am a real estate agent looking to list a farm for sale. Can I list a property on Virginia Farm Link?

The Virginia Farm Link database is set up to facilitate a match between a retiring farmer and a new/beginning farmer; it is not set up to serve as a real estate listing service.  As such, if you are looking to sell a farm property for the highest price you can get, the Virginia Farm Link database will not help you reach that goal. But it may help you connect with someone who wants to farm it! 

Can I list my equipment for sale or lease?

At this time, there is not an option to list equipment only; however, you can include available equipment with a land posting.